Europe : What is the adoption rate of mobile-friendly, responsive design site or mobile app for online retailers?
Idealo has carried out an analysis of online shops* in 6 different countries. The results indicate to what extent the online shops are optimised for mobile browsing on smartphones and tablets, and show how many retailers have produced a mobile app.
UK online retailers lead the way in mobile shopping
- In the UK, 86% of the shops in the study offer a mobile-optimized site, or have a shopping app available for download.
- France and Spain are not far behind the UK with 74% of shops offering mobile shopping.
- In other European countries, the results were lower, with Germany at 68%, followed by Italy at 50% and Poland at 46%.
A large majority of the shops had chosen to develop a mobile site, only a few had implemented responsive design.
- The highest adoption rate of responsive design is in Spain where 18% of online retailers have implement responsive design.
Mobile shopping site adoption is higher than shopping apps
- The use of mobile shopping applications is the highest in France where 56% of the shops offer a shopping app. France was also the only country found to have top online shops offering Android apps without iOS apps.
- The UK retailers aren’t far behind with 52%.
- The Polish shops are particularly reticent when it comes to app offerings, with just 10% of shops in the study creating an app for their mobile customers.
*For the study, the top 50 idealo shops from each country were analysed. These were determined from looking at which 50 of the 100 shops with the most clicks on each idealo site (idealo.de, idealo.co.uk, idealo.fr, idealo.it, idealo.es and idealo.pl) had the highest national Alexa traffic rankings.